Sunday, May 17, 2009

Summer Movie Review

Angels & Demons



I just saw it.
Hm. Disappointing, actually. I expect Angels & Demons to be somewhat of a better, more magnificent movie than the previous one, The Da Vinci Code--at least an equal, since I know the book is so much better than Da Vinci Code. But no. Yes sure, as a movie it's really good. It can play with our emotions. The visualization of the symbology, the landscapic setting (The Vatican City, Rome and the churches), they're actually quite good. Even though in the end there's a weird twist at the symbology section. The scoring, man, I don't know, I just love it. It's like I finally get to see what I've imagined when I had read the book, and it's good.

BUT.

They erased some of the key characters, which I think ruined the mood of the film.
They ripped off a key event, which I think is one of the most exciting one.
They. Changed. The. Plot.
The main ingredient as to why this story even exist.

Hey, I know adaptation movies are always like this (except LOTR, which I find better than the books). It happened with most of the Harry Potter films--especially the current ones, Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2 (I think it's waaaay across the line to cram 3 great books into one movie), and of course so many more (I suddenly blanked when I tried to think of big adaptation movies). The Da Vinci Code film, I can tolerate because it's still as exciting as the book and the removal of certain elements are not necessarily disturbing.

Pffthh.
Well, for a movie I give Angels & Demons 4 out of 5.
For an adaptation--and because I'm such a big fan of Dan Brown's novels, 2.

Be happy those who haven't read Angels & Demons.

0 comments: