Saturday, May 16, 2009

Eyes of The Beauty

I watched Oprah today, it's about beauty and how people from different countries and cultures perceive it. The show featured countries like India, Brazil, Indonesia (yay!), Mauritania, Japan, and Iran. It got me thinking about the concept of beauty itself. All these years there are always two sides of arguments about beauty, one who says that beauty is what you can see, touch, smell; the other says beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I'm still deciding what my stance is.
Yeah, I know beauty is beyond looks, beyond fashion. But I'm not gonna deny the fact that I'd like to dress up and put on make up once in a while to look good. I love fashion, don't get me wrong, and I love it edgy.

The thing is, I learned not to perceive beauty only by looking at the exterior of a person, the hard way. Isn't it ironic, the person you don't even know, whom you think you'll never harm, who looks prettier than you--nobler, even, is the person who in the end hurts you the most? You know, the miss goody-two-shoes who's actually hiding a pointy tail and horns?

I think, when you truly wanna be beautiful, you'd have to live up to what you're gonna wear. For example, if you wanna wear something graceful, then be graceful. Otherwise you'll just gonna look desperate. If you want people to see you're a good person then be one. Smile more, do good deeds instead of just fool around with somebody else's boyfriend and claiming you care about them.
I believe, unconsciously, we all understand this. It's those comments I often hear from my friends :
"Ih padahal celananya bagus, sayangnya dia yang pake!"
"Cewek cantik biasanya brengsek."
Ha.
These comments happen for a reason, you know. We're perceiving beauty in a wrong way. I think, before you dress all beautiful and fancy, mend your personality first.

That way, you won't need much else to look.. truly beautiful.

0 comments: